Auster (Taylorcraft) A.O.P. 6
Single engine two seat light communications- and observation aircraft
In 1947 the first of 22 Austers ordered to equip an observation squadron, 369 Squadron at Brasschaat, were delivered. As this base was still under construction the aircraft were at first stored at Wevelgem and a some were used for training at Schaffen (Diest). In 1952 the first Piper Super Cubs were delivered that replaced the Austers. However it took until 1955 before the unit (redesignated 15 Squadron Light Aviation) would stop operating the Austers. A few aircraft remained active with N° 42 Squadron at Wahn (Germany) until 1956-1957 and one single aircraft with 1 Wing at Beauvechain until 1958.