Single engine two-seat trainer aircraft
In order to replace the aging Avro 504K trainers at the Wevelgem based pilot School, the Belgian government decided to acquire the much-improved version of the same design, the Avro 504N trainer. The rotary engine of the Avro 504K which was either the 130 hp (97 kW) Clerget 9B, the 100 hp (75 kW) Gnome Monosoupape or 110 hp (82 kW) Le Rhône 9J engines was replaced by the more powerful 215 hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx Mk. IV engine and the airframe was substantially upgraded and modernized. A first order for 10 aircraft was placed with the Manchester based A.V. Roe Company on 14 December 1929 covering the aircraft with c/n 373 to 382. Avro delivered five more 504N's as of 19 January 1931 (construction numbers 480 to 484) followed by two more on 14 March 1931 (c/n 492 to 493) for a total of 17 aircraft. Having been granted license rights for the Avro 504N production, Sabca complied with a first contract for the production of 15 aircraft which were delivered during 1934 (X-18 to X-31). In 1937 Sabca received a second order for 10 more Avro 504N's (X-33 to X-42) followed in 1939 by 10 more aircraft (X-43 to X-52). At the beginning of the hostilities a large number of trainer aircraft fled the country to finally end up at the then French airfield of Oujda in Morocco. With the fall of France, the aircraft were abandoned to the elements and finally scrapped. The following Avro 504N trainers were registered in inventory at Oujda: X2, X9, X10, X19, X20, X23, X36, X42, X44, X46, X48, X50 and X51.
More individual aircraft will be added in the future.