Piper L-18C Super Cub
Single engine observation, communications and training aircraft.
157 Piper Super Cubs were delivered to the Belgian Air Force from mid-1952 onwards in the framework of the Mutual Defence Aid Programme (MDAP). After a restructuration of the armed forces on April 1st, 1954 the Super Cubs were assigned to the Belgian Army Light Aviation and exchanged their bright yellow colour scheme for camouflage paint.
From the total number of 157 aircraft delivered to Wevelgem, 25 Pipers (L88 to L112) were never used operationally by the Belgian Forces and instead were passed on to Denmark (L88 to L103) and the Netherlands (L104 to L112). More aircraft were stored for several years before taken on charge. In 1963 the serial numbers were rationalised and the majority of the aircraft got a new sequential registration number. The result was that several registrations were issued twice, which does not really help to give us a clear picture.
During its operational career a demonstration team was formed, named "The Pipettes".
All remaining Pipers were replaced by Sud Aviation Alouette II helicopters by June 1970, although for many of them this by no means meant the end of their flying career as several Pipers started a second life with civilian aero clubs all across Europe