Percival P.66 Pembroke C.51
Twin engine transport and communications aircraft.
In 1953 the Belgian Government ordered 12 Percival Pembroke's through Conbtract N° SP140 as a replacement for the ageing Avro Anson.The aircraft was used for short-range transport and liaison flights. Between 1956 and 1957 several brand-new Pembrokes were stored at Wevelgem awaiting a future detachment to the Belgian Congo, which eventually never materialised.
A number of Pembrokes were also used for the benefit of the Belgian National Geographical Institute that used the aerial photographs obtained with the Pembrokes to produce very detaild maps of the country. In 1978 the Pembrokes were struck of charge after their replacement, the Swearingen Merlin III became operational. All but two Pembrokes were sold to the rather dark company Air America (not to be confused with the CIA-supported Air America that was operational in South-East Asia), which was owned by a drugsdealer. After some very adventurous carreers in Souith America, several former Belgian Pembrokes were acquired and preserved in the USA.