De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth
Single engine two-seat elementary trainer
Immediately after World War II the Belgian Government acquired 31 De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth elementary trainers from RAF stocks. Several of these aircraft (later to become T-1 till T-17) already were used by the Belgian Training School (RAF) at Snailwell in the U.K.. When the Elementary Training School (EVS/EPE) was created at Schaffen/Diest and equipped with these Tiger Moths the school was one of the first post war units of the then called Belgisch Militaire Vliegwezen/Aviation Militaire Belge (becoming Belgian Air Force on 15 January 1949). When, in July 1950 the Elementary Training School moved to Goetsenhoven, the Tiger Moth was already being gradually replaced by the Stampe SV.4B. Some aircraft remained operational at the Officers School at Nivelles while some continued as glider tugs for what was to become the Belgian Air Cadets, but by 1956/57 all remaining Tigers were sold on the civilian market.