Avro Canada CF100 Canuck Mk.5
Twin engine all-weather interceptor
On July 28th, 1957 the Belgian Government announced that Avro CF100 Canuck was the preferred choice over the Gloster Javelin, the Sud Avation Vautour IIN, the North American F86K Sabre and the Northrop F89D Scorpion as the first "all-weather" fighter for the Belgian Air Force. In total 54 Canuck's were bought for the total sum of 42 million dollar (75% paid for by the US and 25% paid by Canada). Only 53 aircraft were ever delivered as one was damaged prior to delivery. In December 1957 a first batch of 15 Canucks was ferried from RCAF Uplands, Ottawa to Marville (France) via Goose Bay and Keflavik, piloted by Canadian crews of 428 and 410 Squadron. From Marville Belgian pilots delivered the aircraft to Beauvechain airbase. The Canucks served with Nrs 11, 349 and 350 Squadron of the 1st "All Weather" Wing at Beauvechain. This huge fighter was only used until 1964 when it was replaced by the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter. Unfortunately not a single Belgian Air Force Canuck was preserved as all remaining aircraft were sold to scrap dealer Van Heyghen and broken up at Gent. A Canadian Air Force "Cluck" is on public viewing at the Royal Army Museum in Brussels.