Single engine two-seat reconnaissance aircraft
In March 1915 a German Albatros B.II two-seat reconnaissance aircraft made a forced landing in the dunes along the Belgian coast and was captured by the Belgian Army. The machine was transported to the nearby Beaumarais base for examination and as it was in good condition it was transferred to the “Atelier Bollekens” at Calais to undergo some repairs and painting. After a few test-flights, Sgt Willy de Roy flew the aircraft to Sint Idesbald airbase to be taken on charge of N° II Squadron. Unfortunately only ten days later on 15 April, the aircraft crashed upon take-off from Sint Idesbald near the Robaye farm at Adinkerke. The crew was Sgt Willy de Roy (who suffering a brain contusion) and Observer SLt de t’Serclaes.