Airship "Belgique"

   The "Belgique" was a 4.200m3 airship constructed by Louis Goddard at Paris and used by the Service Aérostatique from 1910 onwards. The Belgique III was in fact the third extensive modification of the basic Belgique airship previously owned by Mrs. Goldschmidt and Solvay, who donated the machine to King Albert. Transferred to the Compagnie d'Aérostiers du Génie, the Belgique III was used up to September 1914 from Wilrijk, Antwerp. When the Germans took this town, the machine was disassembled and transported to France.

Still manned by the Belgian Commandant Soucy, the Belgique III was equipped with the gondola of the vedette Zodiac to become the VZ 5 based at La Rochelle and later Rochefort for coastal surveillance duties.  The VZ 5 having been operational until at least 1919 was offered back to Belgians but the government didn't have any use for an airship anymore. 

 

Airship "Ville de Bruxelles"

   The 8.400 m3 airship "Ville de Bruxelles" was build by the AVIA Company and destined to become the first commercially operated airship in Belgium. The exact use of this machine for military purposes remains shrouded in mystery but fact is that it surfaces in several military reports. The final fate of the airship has never been exactly determined but rumors persist that the machine was discovered dismantled in a hangar at Belgrade near Namur in 1920.

 

Airship "Zodiac"

   The "Zodiac" was a 1.700m3 training-airship commanded by Kpt. Seeger and Lts. Eckstein and Delforge. In his book "BELGICA", Ernest Demuyter points out that the "Zodiac III" (together with the "Belgique III") was transported by road to France, where it was used as a training ship.

© 2020 by Daniel Brackx - Created with Wix.com

Belgian Wings on

  • Facebook