Fairchild C-119F Flying Boxcar
Twin engined transport aircraft
Because modern aviation offered a number of practical solutions to improve the connection between Belgium and its African colony Congo a first batch of 18 Fairchild C-119F Flying Boxcars (the "F" type is easily identifiable by the lack of fins below the twin booms) was ordered in the early fifties. Deliveries started in 1952 and replaced a large number of Douglas C-47B Dakotas which were much smaller and had a smaller operational radius). In September 1955 all C119Fs were administratively returned to the U.S. Air Force; however they remained stored at Melsbroek airbase. Between June and September 1956 eight aircraft were transferred to the Royal Norwegian Air Force via the US MDAP programme. The remaining ten aircraft were kept in storage until they were bought back by the Belgian Government. In 1956 all of these aircraft were upgraded to C-119G standards by Sabena.