Miles M.14A Magister I

Miles M.14A Magister G-1, probably at Evere airfield

Single engine two seat training & communictions aircraft.

 

 

  On 3 October 1946, one single Miles Magister was transferred from the RAF to Belgium to be used as instructional airframe at the Technical School at Saffraanberg.  Early 1947 the machine was made airworthy and delivered to 367sq/169Wing at Evere where it was used for communication flights, first registered TMR 50/DMT 50 later G-1.  In September 1953 the machine was stricken of charge and continued its career on the civilian register as OO-NIC. Rescued in the seventies by museum-volunteers the restored machine is now on view at the Royal Army Museum in Brussels.

Serial

C/N

In

Out

History

G-1

1992 + parts of 2037

Oct 1946

Sep 1953

T9800 (RAF), SMT-50, TMR-50, G-1, OO-NIC, on display at the Royal Army Museum, Brussels as T9800.

Percival P.31C Proctor 4

 

Single engine communications aircraft

In 1947 6 Percival Proctors were procured to ensure the training of wireless operators and observers. Very soon the Avro Anson was preferred for the specific training of wireless operators and the main task of the Proctor became that of communications aircraft at the 169th Wing later becoming the 15th Wing. Only the Radio-School, a section of the Technical School of Saffraanberg used a Proctor for the training of its radio-telegraph students. In 1954 with the modernisation of the air assets of the Belgian Air Force the remaining Proctors were either sold on the civilian market or scrapped. One aircraft is preserved at the Brussels’ Royal Army Museum.

Serial

C/N

In

Out

History

P-1

H.721

Jun 1947

Jul 1954

NP350 (RAF), P-1, OO-LVO, crashed in Germany on 24 Nov 1956.

P-2

H-589

Jun 1947

Jul 1954

NP182 (RAF), P-2, OO-FEB, used for fire-fighting training at Grimbergen.

P-3

H-575

Jun 1947

Dec 1953

NP168 (RAF), P-3, scrapped at Evere

P-4

H-578

Jun 1947

Aug 1951

NP171 (RAF), P-4, preserved at the Royal Army Museum, Brussels.

P-5

H-571

Oct 1947

P-6

H.654

Mar 1948

Jul 1954

NP164 (RAF), P-5, OO-ARH

Dec 1953

NP270 (RAF), P-6, scrapped at Evere.

 

Piper PA-22 Caribbean 150 - Tripacer

Around 15h00 on 24 April 1961 Tri Pacer OT-CGU flown by 1Sgt. Major Verborgh on a liaison flight between Gabiro and Kigali (Ruanda) suffered an engine failure due to metal-fatigue of an exhaust-valve. In the emergency landing that followed the aircraft overturned and all four occupants were injured. Although severely wounded the pilot managed to rescue his passengers and radioed for help. Two wounded occupants were transported to safety by Alouette II helicopter to Kigali. For his brave actions which saved the lives of the occupants, 1Sgt. Major Verborgh was awarded the "Prix Monseur 1962".

Single engine four seat communication aircraft

 

 

  During the events following the independence of the former "Belgian Congo" a Piper 150 Caribbean - Tripacer was used for communication flights in eastern-Congo by the Light Aviation section of the Belgian Army. The aircraft was written-of in an accident near Mohasi-Lake in Ruanda.

Serial

C/N

In

Out

History

OT-CGU

22-7130

May 1960

Apr 1961

 ZS-CNK, OO-CGU/OT-CGU, destroyed in crash near Mohasi lake, Ruada

Piper L-18C Super Cub


 Single engine observation, communications and training aircraft.

 

 
  157 Piper Super Cubs were delivered to the Belgian Air Force from mid-1952 onwards in the framework of the Mutual Defence Aid Programme (MDAP). After a restructuration of the armed forces on April 1st, 1954 the Super Cubs were assigned to the Belgian Army Light Aviation and exchanged their bright yellow colour scheme for camouflage paint.  From the total number of 157 aircraft delivered to Wevelgem, 25 Pipers (L88 to L112) were never used operationally by the Belgian Forces and instead were passed on to Denmark (L88 to L103) and the Netherlands (L104 to L112). More aircraft were stored for several years before taken on charge. In 1963 the serial numbers were rationalised and the majority of the aircraft got a new sequential registration number. The result was that several registrations were issued twice, which does not really help to give us a clear picture.  During its operational career a demonstration team was formed, named "The Pipettes".
All remaining Pipers were replaced by Sud Aviation Alouette II helicopters by June 1970, although for many of them this by no means meant the end of their flying career as several Pipers started a second life with civilian aero clubs all across Europe.

Available SOON

© 2020 by Daniel Brackx - Created with Wix.com

Belgian Wings on

  • Facebook